Low libido, aka reduced sex drive, describes disinterest in sexual activity.
Your relationship and libido are usually mutually exclusive, so if you’re experiencing reduced sex drive, don’t assume that your relationship with your partner is lacking in some way.
Read on to learn the actual causes, symptoms, and treatment of low libido.
Symptoms of low libido
Are you noticing a change in your libido? Low libido is usually not a concerning medical condition and can be treated with a few changes here and there. However, it’s essential to know the following symptoms of low libido so you can take the necessary measures:
- Loss of interest in sexual activities such as masturbation
- Decrease in sexual thoughts and fantasies
- Not finding sexual intercourse pleasurable
- Loss of interest in initiating sex
Causes of low libido
Here are potential causes of low libido in both men and women.
- Inability to orgasm or pain during sex naturally decreases your sexual desire.
- Medical conditions like coronary artery disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, and arthritis, as well as neurological conditions
- Antidepressantsand several prescription drugs
- Excessive use of alcohol, recreational drugs, and smoking.
- Surgery of the genital tract or breasts
- Exhaustion and fatigue arising from lifestyle choices
- Women lose interest in sex after menopause. This is due to a drop in estrogen levels. In addition, vaginal tissues dry up, which makes sex painful.
- Sex drive also decreases during pregnancy or after childbirth. This is partly due to body image issues, childcare responsibilities, and breastfeeding.
- Depression decreases one’s interest in previously pleasurable activities, including sex.
- Financial or work-related stressors: They cause sleep problemsresulting in a decrease in testosterone levels in men.
- Low self-esteem/poor body image can lead to sex performance anxiety.
- Abuse (both sexual or physical)
- History of painful or uncomfortable sexual experiences.
Finally, if you don’t have an emotional connection with your partner, it will reduce your desire for sexual intimacy. If tension exists between the couple or unresolved conflicts build up over time, it impacts their sex drive.
Treatment of low libido
Tavicare is a functional care practice providing personalized low libido treatment in Maryland, Washington DC, and Northern Virginia. Their low libido doctors use various treatment options, including oxytocin and testosterone doses, bioidentical hormones, amino acids, and Viagra/Cialis/Levitra.